Genesis HealthCare Careers
Dementia Program Director (Full Time)
POSITION SUMMARY: The Dementia Program Director is responsible for administering the Dementia Program within the Community. The position requires that the individual develop and maintain a quality program that therapeutically encompasses customers' physical, social, cultural, spiritual, and intellectual needs. This individual assesses each customer and develops programming that maximizes the customer's abilities and provides contentment, enjoyment, and positive self-esteem. The role requires clinical knowledge of dementia care, leadership abilities, and marketing skills.
1. Complete individual customer assessment and plans including move-in (within the scope of practice) and ongoing updates, as needed.
2. Coordinates, implements, and monitors all service plans and other state required documents with other members of the team.
3. Assures implementation of all policies and procedures.
4. Functions as a liaison during customer hospitalizations to ensure continuity of care.
5. Performs ongoing quality improvement evaluations that include quality indicators for the environment, documentation, team functioning, and all aspects of quality care provision as well as reporting identified issues back to the team for resolution.
6. Functions as an advocate for customers and their families.
7. Coordinates and collaborates with other Community personnel to promote inclusion of customers in off-unit activities as appropriate.
8. Engages outside resources to complement activity program (e.g., entertainment, intergenerational programming, etc.).
9. Assists with personal care as needed.
10. Maintains up-to-date knowledge and skill in specialty to ensure quality programming for customers.
11. Participates in team and staff meetings to ensure coordination of quality customer care.
12. Provides direct services to families through communication, education, and support.
13. Acts as the unit liaison for all consultants.
14. Manages all discharges/transfers from the unit.
15. Manages all research projects on the unit.
16. Develops daily and monthly activity calendar for the unit that includes both small and large group activities and participates in its implementation.
17. Acts as a role model for staff with regard to professionalism and appropriateness in customer and family interaction.
18. Provides ongoing consultation to programs within campus setting to ensure continuity of care. Scope of consultation may include quality assurance, education, support, family liaison, therapeutic programming, assessment, care planning, and marketing.
19. Interviews and makes recommendations for hiring/terminating all staff who will work on the unit.
20. Directly and indirectly supervises all staff assigned to the Dementia Program unit. Responsible for probationary and annual evaluation of all unit personnel.
21. Communicates regularly with Customer Care Director, Executive Director, and other appropriate staff concerning unit functions.
22. Directly responsible for the financial performance of the Dementia Program unit. Participates in developing and monitoring unit budget. Maintains cost effective programming within activity budget.
23. Maintains appropriate records, correspondence, and documentation to manage the unit.
24. Develops and implements new systems as new policies are developed.
25. Implements ongoing team building efforts.
26. Responds to the majority of phone inquiries regarding the Dementia Program unit.
27. Acts as liaison with all departments in the Community.
28. Provides orientation as well as ongoing in-services on dementia care to staff, including sensitivity training and mandatory Dementia Program training.
29. Provides family education through support groups, family council, and other methods of information such as newsletters, brochures, etc.
30. Provides Community education through lectures before groups and organizations within the community.
31. Participates in committees within the Community that are dedicated to dementia care.
32. Supervises appropriate student internships.
33. Develops and implements yearly marketing plan.
34. Participates in other Dementia Program marketing efforts such as interviews, television and radio programs, and health expos.
35. Monitors changes in the market and competition.
36. Performs other duties as assigned.
Position Type: Full Time
Req ID: 292554
Center Name: Heritage Woods