Genesis HealthCare Careers
Director Social Services II (Full Time)
The Director of Social Services II plans, develops, organizes, evaluates and directs the overall operation of the Social Services Department in accordance with the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics and maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and regulations, Genesis policies and procedures, and standards of care for specialty practice (Reference: Social Services Job Description Addendum Specialty Practice).
The Director of Social Services II is a member of the interdisciplinary and management team of the nursing center. The Director may supervise other members within the Social Services function, or may operate as the sole Social Services employee, based on the size and complexity of the center. The Director of Social Services II is responsible for fostering a climate, policies, and routines that enable residents to maximize their individuality, independence, and dignity.
This climate shall provide patients/residents with the highest practical level of physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being and quality of life.
If and when the Director of Social Services II performs responsibilities across multiple centers, there is a reporting relationship to the Area Social Services Specialist.
1. Develops and maintains a good working rapport with intra-department personnel and meets with administration, medical, and nursing staffs, and other related departments for collaboration and planning.
1. Plans, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs a comprehensive Social Services program. Accountable for Social Services practice, measuring outcomes to interventions, and departmental productivity.
2. Recruits, interviews, selects, supervises, and evaluates all Social Services staff.
3. Coordinates and implements Social Services Orientation for new center staff.
4. Assists in determining departmental staffing and budgetary needs.
5. Communicates to the Center Executive Director equipment and supply needs of the Social Services department.
6. Reviews departmental policies and procedures as part of the facility's interdisciplinary team to assure compliance with federal and state regulations.
7. Participates in Quality Improvement interdisciplinary meetings.
8. Ensures all government, organizational, and state specific requirements for Social Services documentation are met by all staff members. Monitors departmental Point Click Care compliance.
9. Provides oral and written reports/recommendations to the Center Executive Director concerning the operation of the Social Services department.
10. Prepares Social Services department for annual state survey.
11. Serves as active contributor in designated center meetings (Morning Meeting, Utilization Management, Customer at Risk, Care Planning, etc.).
1. Works with Social Services staff, interdisciplinary team, and administration to promote and protect resident rights and the psychosocial well-being of all patients/residents. Prevents and addresses patient/resident abuse as mandated by law and professional licensure.
2. Identifies and monitors community changes and opportunities such as legislation, regulations, and programs that impact nursing home patients/residents.
3. Works with patients/residents, families, and significant others to provide support and information for taking a more proactive role in self-advocacy to improve the quality of life/care for individual patients/residents and those who live and work within the nursing home and community at large.
4. Responds to issues identified by patients/residents and families to determine satisfaction with services.
1. Assures that a Psychosocial Assessment is completed for each patient/resident that identifies social, emotional, psychological needs and strengths. Assesses each patient/resident for discharge.
2. Completes or ensures that patient, family, and staff interviews are conducted for completion of relevant MDS sections (i.e. cognitive; mood, behavior, patient goal setting) and Care Area Assessments are completed in accordance with regulation.
3. Assures and participates in the development of a written, interdisciplinary plan of care for each patient/resident that identifies the psychosocial needs/issues of the patient/resident, the goals to be achieved for those needs/issues, and the appropriate Social Services interventions.
4. Provides therapeutic interventions to assist patients/residents in coping with their transition and adjustment to a long-term care facility including the social, emotional, and psychological needs. Oversees this provision by all Social Services staff.
5. Ensures or provides groups for patients/residents and/or family members/significant others as appropriate to meet their needs.
6. Provides support and education to patient/resident and family members/significant others to assist in their understanding of placement and facility issues in addition to referring them to the appropriate Social Service agencies when the facility does not provide the needed services.
7. Facilitates patient/resident transfer throughout the center to ensure a seamless transition and patient/resident adjustment.
8. Serves as a mentor to Social Services staff and interdisciplinary team members to develop and provide clinical interventions to address catastrophic events that occur during the patient/resident stay in the facility.
9. Serves as a resource and participates as part of the interdisciplinary care team to develop and provide interventions to resolve behavior or mood problems.
10. Serves as a resource to patients/residents, families/significant others, and staff for conflict resolution as needed.
11. Develops community linkages and a system of collaboration with community based providers ( i.e. behavioral health, hospice, etc.) and coordinates the clinical application of services..
12. Ensures health care decision making process is implemented and in compliance with Genesis policies and procedures and state regulations.
1. Ensures that patient/resident discharge goals are identified at admission and documented accordingly.
2. Works with patient/resident, family members/significant others, and interdisciplinary care team through care planning and utilization management throughout the course of the stay to identify strengths and needs to ensure an appropriate discharge plan is formulated.
3. As part of interdisciplinary care team, identifies discharge teaching needs.
4. Responsible for communicating to center team members the estimated discharge date and updating Point Click Care.
5. Makes referrals as needed for post discharge care to appropriate agencies and suppliers.
6. Establishes relationships and maintains contact and referral flow with community based agencies/services for discharge planning.
7. Initiates and participates in completion of Discharge Transition Plan & Discharge Packet materials and orienting the patient/resident and family around the process.
8. May be involved in contacting patients/residents post discharge to ensure successful transition.
1. Educates staff regarding the role of Social Services in the facility and the psychosocial needs of the patients/residents and their families/significant others including the problems of aging and disability.
2. Participates in new employee orientation, including but not limited to educating staff regarding residents' rights and how to recognize and prevent abuse, neglect and mistreatment. Supports the Nurse Practice Educator in regards to staff education.
3. Educates patients/residents and families/significant others regarding their rights and responsibilities, health care decision making/advance directives, effective problem solving and the extent of community, health and social services that are available to them, including those necessary for effective discharge planning.
4. Attends and participates in continuing education and professional development programs.
5. May serve as clinical field instructors for social work students enrolled in CSWE- accredited education programs.
6. May supervise trainees, or staff other than Social Services.
Position Type: Full Time
Req ID: 293440
Center Name: Green Knoll Center