The Director-Mental Health - Recovery develops, plans, organizes, evaluates and directs the overall operation of the Mental Health Care Program in accordance with professional ethics while maintaining compliance with federal, state, local guidelines and regulations in accordance with Genesis policies - procedures and standards of care for specialty practice.
The Director-Mental Health - Recovery is responsible for the delivery of an efficient and effective comprehensive mental health program while achieving positive clinical outcomes and patient/family satisfaction. He/she operates within his/her scope of practice while delegating aspects of patient/resident care to licensed and unlicensed staff consistent with their scope of practice and in accordance with the Mental Health - Recovery Program Philosophy Standards of Care. The position requires that the individual develop and maintain a quality program which therapeutically addresses the strengths and needs of individual patients/residents with psychiatric diagnoses and updating their family members.
1. Promotes a culture of safety to ensure a healthy practice and living environment;
2. Creates an environment that is respectful, team oriented, and responsive to the concerns of staff, patients/residents and families.
3. Develops and maintains a good working rapport with intra-departmental personnel and meets with administration, medical, and nursing staffs, and other related departments for collaboration and planning.
1. Plans, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs a comprehensive Mental Health - Recovery Program. Accountable for measuring outcomes to interventions.
2. Works with the Center Executive Director to develop, allocate and control the budget for the Mental Health - Recovery Program to ensure sufficient resources in order to maintain effective programming.
3. Actively participates in the Center's/Community's business planning process including marketing plans;
4. Manages staffing:
a. Determines the staffing needs of the department necessary to meet the needs of the patients/residents; Ensures patient/resident care assignments are consistent with staff competencies, scope of practice and the needs of the patients/residents;
b. Recruits, interviews, hires, on-boards, and evaluates all Program staff;
c. Coordinates and implements orientation for all new Program staff;
d. Provides oversight and approves department schedules to include position control and pay practices;
e. Reviews and evaluates the performance of staff as well as counsels staff according to established company personnel policy;
f. Provides direction to department management regarding Individual Performance Improvement Plans, problem resolution, and disciplinary actions;
g. Recommends and facilitates employee promotions, transfers and terminations;
5. Provides oral and written reports/recommendations to the Center Executive Director concerning the operation of the Mental Health - Recovery Program.
6. Prepares Mental Health - Recovery Program for survey.
7. Reviews policies and procedures relative to the Mental Health - Recovery Program to assure compliance with federal, state, and local guidelines and regulations.
8. Serves as active contributor in designated center/community meetings (Morning Meeting, Utilization Management, Customer at Risk, etc.).
9. May need to be available after hours or during the weekends for emergencies or work beyond scheduled shift if needed, to meet state staffing requirements and/or needs of patients/residents.
10. Assumes administrative responsibilities of the Center/Community for weekend and holiday coverage as requested.
1. Promotes and protects resident rights and the well-being of all patients/residents. Prevents and addresses abuse as mandated by law.
2. Provides leadership to staff as an advocate for patients/residents and their families.
1. Reviews and evaluates all prospective patient referrals for admission to determine appropriateness relative to Mental Health - Recovery Program criteria and capabilities.
2. Assures that Interdisciplinary Team Assessments and all state required evaluations are completed timely for each patient/resident.
3. Ensure Point Click Care (PCC) is utilized according to the Business Process for timely completion of the Minimum Data Set (MDS).
4. Assures and participates in the development of a written, interdisciplinary plan of care for each patient/resident that identifies strengths, needs/issues, choices, preferences, and appropriate interventions.
5. Provides direction relative to development and implementation of individualized therapeutic interventions. Oversees this provision by all Program staff.
6. Models and assists with therapeutic programming.
7. Oversees and/or facilitates therapeutic groups for patient/residents.
8. Provides support and education to patient/resident and family members/significant others based upon identified needs.
9. Serves as a mentor to all staff to develop and provide clinical interventions to address catastrophic events that occur.
10. Serves as a resource and participates as part of the interdisciplinary care team to develop and provide interventions to resolve Mental Health - Recovery or mood problems.
11. Serves as a resource to patients/residents, families/significant others, and staff for conflict resolution, as needed.
12. Investigates patient/resident/family complaints and takes appropriate actions to bring to resolution.
1. Serves as or delegates staff as liaison with hospital during patient/resident re-hospitalization to ensure continuity of care.
2. Reviews patient/resident eligibility for return to Program after transfer to an alternative care setting (e.g., hospital, psychiatric hospital, skilled, nursing facility, etc.).
3. Ensures there is a safe, coordinated and thorough discharge planning process in place.
4. Ensures that patient's/resident's attending physician and family or responsible party are promptly notified of any significant change in the patient's/resident's health condition.
1. Develops and implements effective informal and formal forums to promote communication:
a. Communicates on a formal basis with staff on all shifts through routine staff meetings;
b. Participates in shift to shift communication between incoming and outgoing staff;
c. Promotes and ensures communication between licensed nursing staff and nursing assistants during and between shifts as well as programming staff;
d. Establishes systems for communication and collaboration with medical and Mental Health - Recovery providers to coordinate care and services for residents/patients;
e. Communicates with medical staff, state agencies, patients and families.
2. Plans and facilitates meetings to address patient/resident care, survey and/or standards of care issues as requested.
3. Completes rounds on the unit to observe patients/residents, staff interactions and to determine if care needs are being met.
4. Markets the Program through public speaking, committee participation, and community partnerships.
1. Ensures staff education, training, and competency validation is completed per Genesis policies and state and federal regulations.
2. Attends and participates in continuing education and professional development programs.
3. Promotes professional development and career opportunities for staff.
Quality Assessment - Performance Improvement
1. Employs a strong Quality Assessment - Performance Improvement (QAPI) process for the department and participates on the center QAPI Committee.
2. Ensures that the patients'/residents' Care Plans are implemented and periodically reviewed and modified as necessary per policy, state, and federal regulation.
3. Monitors re-hospitalizations to identify trends and areas in need of improvement.
4. Ensures that patient's/resident's accident/incident, adverse event and grievances/concerns are fully documented, investigated, reported and addressed in accordance with Genesis policies and procedures and the Federal/State rules and regulations.
5. Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive Protected Health Information (PHI) at all times.
6. Performs other duties as requested.
Position Type: Full Time
Req ID: 349659
Center Name: Wakefield Center